Business Development Manager, Nutritional HealthColumbus, OH or Home Office
The Business Development Manager is exceptionally driven and experienced in new business development to advance Abitec’s market position and financial growth in the Nutritional Health market. Utilizing superior skills in prospecting, problem solving and negotiation, the Business Development Manager will proactively uncover customers’ needs and propose how Abitec’s product offering can offer solutions. The Business Development Manager will call on all functional areas of customers including research and development, senior management, purchasing, marketing, and operations. Developing and maintaining customer intimacy at all functional areas will be necessary. This individual will have a scientific and technical capability and be motivated to learn and grow technically to service the customers.
Expectation is this individual will spend approximately 50% of their time in the field with current and prospective customers. Key functions will include maintaining, developing and further penetrating existing accounts, creating new relationships, creating a robust opportunity pipeline, and growing profitability.
- Develop and maintain key account plans that outline main stakeholders, strategic motivators, buying processes, forecasted sales and opportunities for Abitec to deliver value.
- Create and maintain a pipeline of business opportunities with close dates ranging from short term opportunities to long term project work with customers. Report on sales activity and opportunity funnel progress monthly.
- Oversee and direct Abitec’s Nutritional initiatives with assigned account responsibility. Provide specific focus on developing new initiatives, commercial projects and customer collaborations.
- Establish relationships and secure contracts with new and existing customers that achieve assigned sales targets.
- Prospect for potential customers using various direct methods such as calling and face to face meetings, and indirect methods such as networking.
- Maintain a high level of relevant scientific, industry, and product knowledge in order to have meaningful conversations with prospects.
- Share detailed notes on customer interactions on customers/prospects via weekly call reports.
- Provide feedback to company management on market trends, competitive threats, unmet needs, and opportunities to deliver greater value to customers by extending company offerings.
- Responsible for customer product approvals, contract quotations, secrecy agreements and customer demand forecasts.
- Provide feedback to sales management on ways to decrease the sales cycle, enhance sales, and improve company brand and reputation.
- Capable of hands-on problem-solving, with ability to generate ideas and technical and/or business solutions.
- Interface across Abitec’s departments, particularly Marketing, Sales Service, Manufacturing, R&D and Regulatory.
- Attends and presents at trade shows and/or relevant industry conferences.
- Provide a positive and determined approach to science, sales, new business opportunities, and the Abitec brand.
- Conduct all sales activities with the highest degree of professionalism and integrity
Skills & Competencies
- Commercial business development experience in area of Nutritional ingredients.
- Professional who displays strong business acumen to strategically develop and manage customer relationships.
- Customer champion who thoroughly understands and investigates account’s needs, establishes relationships and actively influences purchasing decisions.
- Strong scientific and technical foundation in the nutritional industry. Ability to effectively communicate scientific concepts to scientists and non-scientists.
- Strategic planning and independent problem solving.
- Influential leadership style and organizational skills.
- Entrepreneurial professional who proactively develops business with key and prospective accounts with a solution-focused mindset, and masters all key selling and negotiation techniques.
- Team player who fosters and orchestrates teamwork across functions and regions.
- Effective oral and written communication and organization skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and deliver results.
- Educational level: B.S. in (Science or Nutrition) or Business with industry experience.
- 5-10 years of broad Nutritional experience in various commercial positions.
- Relationships with existing Nutritional accounts.
- Knowledge of nutritional ingredient formulation and functionality.
- Experience in account management and development.
- Excellent communication, troubleshooting, and negotiating skills.
- Ability to make cold calls and in-person sales calls and presentations.
- Knowledge of strategic selling concepts and consultative sales.
- Ability to follow a defined sales process and documentation standards.
- Recognized as a leader and progressive thinker among scientific peers.
- Ability to effectively communicate in both one-on-one discussions and broad groups.
- Ability to travel regularly to support business growth.
Reporting Structure: Reports to the Global Business Director, Nutritional Health
Internal relationships: Technical, Regulatory, Marketing, Sales Service, Business Development
External relationships: Nutritional Accounts, Formulators, Contract Manufacturing Organizations, Trade Organizations, and Academic partners
Key contacts: Nutritional Accounts, Contract Manufacturers, Consumer Product Accounts, Market Resellers, and Academic and Industry Associations
Direct Reports: None
Geographic Scope: Eastern United States
Location: Columbus, OH or Home Office
Up to 50%
Company provided training:
Seminars/professional advancement courses
R&D/technical overview of products and processes