The Biopharmaceutics Classification System (BCS) classifies active pharmaceutical ingredients (API's) based on the solubility and permeability of each respective API. API's that are BCS Class III & IV are poorly permeable, indicating that they will exhibit reduced bioavailability due to reduced transit across the GI tract. Formulating these API's in a lipid based drug delivery system can enhance the permeability of these molecules and ensure improved bioavailability.
CAPMUL® - Where Formulation Begins™
ABITEC has expanded its portfolio of CAPMUL bioavailability enhancers which are medium-chain mono- and di-glycerides and propylene glycol esters. These functional lipid excipients act as solubilizers and emulsifiers in oral, topical, transdermal, and parenteral drug delivery systems. CAPMUL excipients are recognized as the ideal starting point when formulating BCS Class II & IV (poorly water soluble) and BCS Class III & IV (poorly permeable) molecules. Lipid based drug delivery systems may be formulated as liquid or semi-solid formulations for oral dosage and can also be employed as solubilizers, emulsifiers, and penetration enhancers in creams and ointments for both topical and transdermal applications.
- Bioavailability enhancer
- Carrier (vehicle)
- Employment through SEDDS - self emulsifying drug delivery systems
Specifically for Permeation Enhancement:
- Major advantages in the areas of drug solubility and protection against enzymatic hydrolysis, coupled with enhanced absorption.
- Efficient in the solubilization or dispersion of active substances and polar lipids.
- Effective in self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS) when incorporated as a low HLB water-in-oil (w/o) emulsifier or co-emulsifier.
- Useful enhancer for intestinal absorption of poorly absorbed drugs due to Capmul's low acute oral toxicity and its absence of local irritation.
- Potential to enhance the release and availability of many drugs that are impermeable to tissue barriers and poorly absorbed due to either low partition coefficient or low diffusibility.
|Product Name||Chemical Name||CAS Number|
|Capmul 808G EP/NF||Glyceryl Monocaprylate||26402-26-6|
|Capmul MCM C8 EP/NF||Glyceryl Monocaprylate||26402-26-6|
|Capmul MCM NF||Glyceryl Caprylate/Caprate||91744-32-0,
|Capmul MCM EP/NF||Glyceryl Caprylate/Caprate|| 91744-32-0,
|Capmul PG-8 NF||Propylene Glycol Monocaprylate||68332-79-6|
|Capmul PG-12 EP/NF||Propylene Glycol Monolaurate||27194-74-7|